Summer on MDI is the busiest time of year. All businesses are open and there are plenty of activities to enjoy. Here are some activities we recommend:
- Go hiking. If you are looking for spots off the beaten path, we recommend ‘A Walk In The Park’ by local Tom St. Germain which many locals simply call ‘the book’. You can pick up a copy at Sherman’s, one of the oldest book stores in the country and right in downtown Bar Harbor.
- Take a tour. A tour, whether it’s on a bus, boat, or on foot, is a great way to get your bearings and meet someone with local knowledge. If you want something a bit different than the major sites, check out the Bar Harbor Foodie Tour or Natural History Center’s wildlife tours.
- Getting on the water. Whether you do a kayaking tour, see a whale watch, enjoy a boat tour, or simply take a ferry to one of the outer islands, seeing the island from the water is something you’ll enjoy. Just bring layers; it’s colder on the water then you’d expect.
- See a movie at Reel Pizza. Reel Pizza in Bar Harbor is open year round. They not only show big budget films but also host small festivals, artistic movies, and foreign films.
- Attend a ‘First Friday’ art walk. Bar Harbor and Northeast Harbor typically open their galleries in the evenings the first Friday of every month. Check out local art and enjoy the festive environment with other enthusiasts.
- Attend a craft fair. The Island Arts Association and other groups typically hold craft shows regularly in the summer and fall. Local talent ranges from knitwear to blown glass.
- Attend a festival. There are lots like the Flamingo Festival in Southwest Harbor. You can usually count on a parade, pies, and a craft fair among the activities.
- Attend a ranger-led program. Acadia National Park has a variety of ranger led nature programs you can attend free. Visit their website for a full list of offerings.
- Shop at a local business. Visit a cafe, browse for books and antiques, find something new to wear, and more. (Most local chambers keep a list of businesses on their websites with their most up to date hours.)
You can probably tell why summer is the most popular time to visit MDI. The weather is great and the indoor and outdoor available activities are more than enough for anyone to enjoy.